Monday, January 26, 2015

2014: Year in Review

2014 was an amazing year! A lot of things happened in 2014 and I am so excited to tell you about it. Going back to school to finish my classes of medical assistant, was not an easy choice, so what made me, make the decision of finishing my classes? Well the answer is simple: one day I saw a job posting, and the description read that they were looking to hire a medical receptionist, so I took a leap of faith and decided to go. When I got to the clinic, the interviewee told me that they were looking to hire a medical assistant, she asked me if I had my diploma, or if I was certified and I said "No". This was what opened my eyes and decided to go back to school to get my medical assistant diploma. When I got there, the receptionist told me that I might have to retake the entire class all over again to get caught up, luckily though that wasn't the case. So I went and I entered the medical assistant class, and it felt weird, just being there all over again, it took me back to 3 years ago, when I would prepare and administer the intramuscular, sub-q and intradermal injections and drawing blood, or worse, doing the ekg. I signed up for the final two classes that I needed. However, I faced another problem, in which I learned that in order for me to completely get my diploma, I had to go back to do my externship because I was missing a total of 11 hours. Luckily they gave me the option of finishing my hours at a school (this however did not have great results). So I went back to school in September, and I passed my keyboarding class, i was really excited!. And then I had to do the Microsoft Office Word. In the midst of all this, I went to different schools and told them about my situation: that i was a medical assistant student, and that i had done my externship 3 years prior but that I am missing 11 hours. Unfortunately, the school rejected me and said that I wouldn't want to do my hours there, because i had to go through a background check, fingerprint check etc. So my mother told me "why don't you finish your hours, at the clinic where you started 3 years ago". It took a lot of courage for me to tell my mother yes, because of the fact that I promised myself that I would never go back to the clinic where they treated me horribly. But then something hit me, and I said to myself "wait a second kimmy, its only 11 hours, you will only be there two days, you can do this". The day of going back to the clinic, was finally there and I was nervous as hell. Once I got there, it was back to doing what I did before, taking vital signs, calculating BMI, doing the eye and audio tests. However, seeing those who made my life a living hell again, it reminded me of why I decided to quit medical assisting, and how my passion for m.a faded away. The following week, after I did my externship, I went to school and I passed my Microsoft Office Word. December 8 2014, is a day I will never forget, because its the day I got my Medical Assistant Diploma, a career which I happily say I loathe!. But somehow, when I am wearing my scrubs I somehow love it, its something that I really can't explain. And how did my year end, you may ask? Well I received New Year's Eve : Vegas Style! Stay tuned for my next article, where I will write about going to Las Vegas...again! And about my nervousness of getting on the plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment